Welcome to my website. I am an Assistant Professor at the Institute for International Economic Studies at Stockholm University. My research focuses on labor, human capital, and education in developing countries.
You can view my CV here.
(Updated draft coming soon!)
In areas where there is an insufficient supply of qualified teachers, delivering instruction through technology may be a solution to meet the demand for education. This paper analyzes the educational and labor market impacts of an expansion of junior secondary education in Mexico through telesecundarias - schools using televised lessons, currently serving 1.4 million students. To isolate the effects of telesecundarias, I exploit their staggered rollout from 1968 to present. I show that for every additional telesecundaria per 50 children, ten students enroll in junior secondary education and two pursue further education. Using the telesecundaria expansion as an instrument, I find that an additional year of education induced by telesecundaria enrollment increases average income by 17.6%. This increase in income comes partly from increased labor force participation and a shift away from agriculture and the informal sector. Since schooling decisions are sequential, the estimated returns combine the direct effect of attending telesecundarias and the effects of further schooling. I decompose these two effects by interacting the telesecundaria expansion with baseline access to upper secondary institutions. Roughly 84% of the estimated returns come directly from junior secondary education, while the remaining 16% are returns to higher educational levels.
with Diether W. Beuermann, C. Kirabo Jackson, and Francisco Pardo
Revise and Resubmit, the Review of Economic Studies
To explore whether schools' causal impacts on test-scores measure their overall impact on students, we exploit quasi-random school assignments and data from Trinidad and Tobago to estimate the causal impacts of individual schools on several outcomes. Schools' impacts on high-stakes tests are moderately related to impacts on crime but weakly related to impacts on important outcomes such as dropout, teen motherhood, and formal labor-market participation. To examine if parents value these causal impacts, we link them to parents’ ranked lists of schools and employ discrete-choice models to infer preferences for school attributes. Many parents choose schools that improve high-stakes tests, that reduce criminality, and increase labor-market participation. Notably, many parents' choices indicate stronger preferences for impacts on non-academic outcomes than test-score impacts. These results reveal that evaluations based solely on test scores may be very misleading about the benefits of school choice, and education interventions more broadly.
WORK IN PROGRESS
Take-Up, Use, and Effectiveness of Remote Learning Technologies
Data collection completed
Capturing the Malleability of Social and Interpersonal Skills in Educational and Organizational Settings
with Caterina Calsamiglia